Friday, July 10, 2015

Post from Denny's


I'm starting today's blog from inside of a Denny's restaurant.  I slept in a parking lot of a Polit Travel Center last night.  Last night was the first night I tried to use my CPAP machine in my truck, and it worked fine.  I feel a lot better when I use it, and really glad I did.

After waking up at 5am, then again at 6am.  Finally I headed inside to take a shower and get going.  Gas was $1.79 a gallon, so I didn't want to get gas there, but after a quick search on the internet…I found that I would not be able to find gas any cheaper unless I went back south, so I bit the bullet and gassed up. 

Looking at the map, I picked out my route to my next destination….which is Fort Kent, Maine!  Why did I pick Fort Kent you ask.  Well, I have discovered that I am getting used to traveling in my vehicle, and really enjoying it…but I don't like driving, sleeping and living in the same spot all the time, aka my driver's seat.  So yesterday I decided to buy a tent to sleep in, but I wanted one of those tents that go on the back of the truck bed.  I went to several survival stores, sport stores and vehicle accessories stores…but no luck. I looked on line and found that the easiest way to get one would be to order off of Amazon and have it delivered in two days somewhere.  Soooooo… I looked up the farthest point north I could go in the US and have mail delivered, and Fort Kent is it! 


I plan on taking interstate up into New York, then want to start taking state highways.  I have heard all my life that New York is beautiful, and I do want to see that first hand.  Well, that’s enough for now, I have finish my lumberjack breakfast and ready to go.  I'll write more and get this posted later today…

Ok, I have finally made it back to civilization...or at least a wifi connection. I'm currently in Fort Kent, ME.  I'm waiting for the Post Office to open to retrieve my truck tent, and hopefully get on my way to meet up with an old army buddy that has promised to show me the best that Boston has to offer.  He lives just outside of there.  Gags, my old army buddy, and I first met back in 1994 in Friedburg, Germany.  He was a intel guy, and I was a operations guy.  We became good friend and stayed that way ever sense.  Over the years, we have only spoken a few times, but every time it's like the old days.  He is really funny, and very smart.  

Over the past couple of days, I have seen some amazing countryside, and can't wait to see more.  I don't like traveling alone, but I do love to travel.  I don't know when I get to post more pics and updates, so I'll do a lot in this one.  Enjoy!


  
A small lake on the side of the road, just by itself.  So cool!
The path leading back to my truck from the small Lake
This is the Saranac River. New York...very cool
Stopped in a small town to get information on where to camp.  
This is Saranac Lack, the town.  Very beautiful!

The camp site I camped at.  

Road signs look a little different, but I think it was because this town is in the middle of a National Park.


Saranac Lake
I love the architecture of this area!
Saranac Lake 




Walter Mitty Selfie....reference to the movie!  Good movie


Just had to stop and take a pic, very beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment