Monday, July 20, 2015

San Angelo Camping

Spent the evening playing with my grand-daughter Melody…what a sweetheart!  She is sitting up and crawling around so much now.  I haven't been here in a long time, so I was a little worried about her being happy to see me, but she recognized me...thank goodness.  I'm so lucky that all my grand kids love to see me.  



Got up at 7:30am and got the truck packed up.  We took off and headed for San Angelo.  Nice drive, highway most of the way, and very calming.  The San Angelo State park was kinda flat, and the lake was kinda small, although they told us that the water level is up from the last couple of years….but still very shallow.  The fire hazard was moderate for the area, according to Smoky anyway! We had fun taking pics…lol



We stopped at Twin Peaks for lunch and had a drink and chips.  I had two beers.  The first one was a 10 oz., and it was in the tinest mug I think I have ever seen...so the next was a 20 oz...way better.  We think the chipotle dip was bad, because we both got kinda sick right after eating there….really sick feeling.  Wouldn't suggest going there, but not likely this will reach anyone going that way…lol







The "unimproved campsites" for tents sucked, but it was only $10 so I can't complain too much.  It was over 100 degrees when we got there, so we decided to explore the town in the AC of the truck.  It's a nice town, and has everything a big town/city would have.  It also had decorated sheep all over the place.  We looked it up, and the city was a major supplier of wood during WWII, so to promote the town years ago they had a pageant and displayed these sheep all over to advertise it. 



We found a very interesting gorilla that I think my brother Tim would appreciate more than we did…although we tried.  I think the people driving by were a little taken back by our shenanigans...Oh well.









We went back to the campsite about 6:30 pm and went to the campsite we were assigned, but decided we didn't like it so after a drive around the park, found a better spot on the other side of the park…so we stopped there and set up.  The set up went pretty fast this time, and before you knew it we were done.

We picked up some hot dogs and buns in town and had a little cookout for dinner.  As dry and cactuse the place was, it did have a really nice sunset and sunrise.  It was hot going to sleep, but by morning it got cold and we both needed blankets.   Turned out to be a pretty good first night for the trip.  We got up about 5:30 this morning, brushed our teeth and broke down the campsite.  There were showers on site, so Nancy took a shower, but I used my towel to clean up some water the other day and it was dirty, so I decided to wait until we get to  truck stop tomorrow to shower.  Well, that’s about it for today, I'll try and write again tomorrow about today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment