Sunday, August 23, 2015

Reunion and Minnesota

Spent the weekend at my Mom's and attended the 2015 Atwood Family Reunion on Sunday at Maytag park west shelter.  It was a good time seeing all the family. My brother Andy didn't make it this year, but the rest of us got a pic with Mom, love my family. I played the part of photographer again and got some great family pics of everyone.  The only problem with being the photographer is I don't get to be in very many of them.  When someone pointed that out to me during the group photo, I decided to do a selfie with everyone...fun times. I was able to get in the group photo though, my nephew's girlfriend was cool enough to take the shot.





The day after the reunion I drove up to Minnesota to visit an old friend that I was stationed with over 20 years ago.  On the way I stopped at a Rest Stop to get a few Z's before I showed up at his house, and while there I got the pleasure of watching this care taker raise the US Flag. It always makes me feel good to see our flag raise in the morning.

 Over the years Shane and I did our own thing, but reconnected on Facebook and talked.  When we were stationed together in Fort Riley, we were both E-4's...and to put that into perspective, we were like seniors in high school.  Top of the ladder in school, but still no real responsibility.  It was a great time in my life, and me and Shane made it fun for not only us, but everyone around us. We joked and reminisce about old times, and talked about old friends that we both had back them. Sometimes I forget how great some of the places I've been were.  Glad I made such good friends that can remind me of those times.

Shane took the week off for vacation and he showed me around.  We went to Cabela's (just like Bass Pro Shop I think.)  He also took me to the "Mall of America", the biggest mall in the US.  Wow, this place was huge, and fun.  They have a roller coaster in the middle, and some other rides that were amazing.  The Ninja Turtle ride was something to see.  They also have a HUGE Lego built helicopter and transformer guy...really something to see in person.
 


We also wen to the county fair that was going on, two blocks from his house.  It was a great visit with him, and I look forward to doing it again someday.  His Wife Sarah was so nice, and his two daughters were awesome. On the last full day there, he took me to the twin cities, and we ate at a famous restaurant that has been in the movies. It was a really good time. If your reading this Shane, Thank you for everything!

Well, I'm back at my Mom's place. I ordered a new roof rack from my Truck so I could carry my Kayak on top. I had one before, but had to return it because it caused water to leak inside the truck. This one was more expensive, but it fits so much better, and doesn't allow leaking.  So much happier. Also, it makes my Truck look like I have cop lights on top, so everyone drives a little safer around me....good and great! I'm thinking of getting some colored cellophane to enhance the effect, just for fun....lol (not really)





No comments:

Post a Comment